8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home

Blossom Lady
Nov 16, 2021 07:09 AM
8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home

When we take a serious look at our homes, we see the potential fire hazards in many areas. Thousands of fires in the United States originate in the home. If people were more aware of the simple dangers, many fires would not have started in the first place and many lives would not have been lost. Read on to learn what items in your home should be cleaned regularly to prevent a fire. I will also go over the solutions that will make your home safer and your life more enjoyable. So let us take a look at what needs to be cleaned up!

1. Your hairdryer

8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
If you use your hairdryer frequently, dirt and dust buildup can cause the unit to malfunction. If the hair dryer itself smells like burnt hair or gives you a fright, do not take any chances. You need to clean or replace it. Also, the power cord may overheat, resulting in melting, fire or explosion.
4

2. Old unwashed rags

8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
Rags that have been used to stain furniture should not be thrown in a corner in the garage or basement. A chemical reaction between certain oil-based stains and cotton can cause spontaneous combustion.
Fire experts advise keeping these rags in a metal can with a tight lid, some water and a good quality soap for at least three days to allow the chemicals to dissolve. After that, they can be disposed of.
3

3. Air conditioners

8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
Who knew that cool, refreshing air conditioning could set your home on fire? Unfortunately, it is possible, but you can reduce this risk by cleaning and maintaining it.
The problem lies in the wiring of the unit. These broken wires are caused by wear and tear. A broken wire is not as dangerous because the current is not flowing.
A partially broken wire still has current flowing with resistance. This can cause overheating, which can potentially cause a fire. Have your AC cleaned and serviced regularly by a professional to keep you cool.
4

4. Toaster crumbs

8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
The crumbs from your toasted bread or roll that are left at the bottom of the toaster can catch fire the next time you toast. Your toast will be toasted along with your entire kitchen. The toast crumbs are kindling that can ignite when overheated. So if your toaster has a removable compartment, empty it now and wash it with soap and water. If it does not have a catch tray, unplug it and empty the crumbs by tipping the toaster to one side.
4

5. The cooker hood

8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
Our ovens and stovetops are the cause of many fires, but the range hood can be just as devastating. Grease that has accumulated on the range hood filter over time can drip onto your stovetop and start a fire. Before you know it, a small fire can spread to the cabinets and then engulf your kitchen. Keep your family and home safe by cleaning what many people forget to clean.
2

6. Do not forget to clean your chimney

8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
Over the course of the year, your chimney accumulates a lot of trash from the air. Raccoon nests, dust, and broken mortar are just a few of the unwanted fire hazards lurking in your chimney. A buildup of creosote is also one of the causes of chimney fires. You should hire a professional chimney sweep once a year. The National Protection Association recommends that you do. And always light your chimney with an approved lighter, not kerosene, or disaster is inevitable.
2

7. Ignore dust

8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
You will not believe it - dust is a fire hazard! This is especially true when dust collects around your electrical sockets and underfloor heating systems. So vacuum regularly and significantly reduce the risk of a fire in your home.
3

8. Dryer lint

8 Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
To reduce the risk of fire, it's best to clean the lint trap every time you use your dryer. Also clean the inside of the dryer frame to remove clogs and lint. Lint is highly flammable, and if excess heat mixes with the flammable lint, you run the risk of disaster. Plus, your dryer will work more efficiently if it's free of lint.
3
Like!
Add to bookmarks
Assign tags
Loading...
No comments